Over the years, I have probably tested over 20 types of GoPro snowboard mounts. Let me tell you, not all mounts are created equal! So I thought I’d run you through the best GoPro mounts for snowboarding…
The best overall GoPro mount for snowboarding is the GoPro Helmet Front and Side Mount. This option provides the most versatility and captures some amazing point-of-view footage. However, there are many other great options.
Maybe you don’t wear a helmet (naughty), or simply want a different filming angle? Keep reading to check out the other awesome options available…
Why Use A GoPro Mount For Snowboarding
You might be wondering why you even need a GoPro mount… after all, you have a tripod and a functioning pair of hands.
Mounts are just better!
Unless you plan on camping out on a ridge all day to catch the best footage, you’re going to miss most of the action. With a mount, you can simply turn the camera and you’re almost guaranteed to catch the best tricks (and falls).
Mounts also reduce the risk of you dropping your precious GoPro. Sounds good to me.
Types of GoPro Mount For Snowboarding
As you can imagine, there are various different types of mount available. The most common are the:
- Helmet Mount
- Chest Mount
- Pole Mount
- Suction Cup Mount
I’m going to reveal the best GoPro mounts for snowboarding in each of these categories.
Best GoPro Helmet Mount For Snowboarding
- Versatile front and side helmet-mounting solution
- Offers maximum adjustability for a variety of shots and capture angles
- Includes easier-to-use integrated mounting buckle
- 1x Swivel Mount, 1 QR, 1x Short Twist 90, 2x Curved adhesive, 1x long thumbscrew, 1x Navarro thumbscrew
- Compatible with all GoPro HERO Cameras
- Compatible with all GoPro Models
- Great build quality
- Amazing POV footage
- Adjustable angles
- Official GoPro accessory
- "Set it and forget it"
- POV angle isn't for everyone
- GoPro merch comes with a higher price tag
This was definitely one of the best GoPro mounts for snowboarding overall. It’s extremely easy to use and once applied to your helmet, you pretty much forget it’s there.
One of the key benefits is that I captured some great footage of my buddies, simply by riding as I would normally. It’s human instinct to watch while your friends succeed (or fail) spectacularly. With the helmet mount, as long as you switch the camera on, you got it!
This model allows side and front mountain. I preferred the front mounted option, which allows you to swivel the camera for some hilarious facial expressions.
If you’re pretty sure you only want to “top mount” your camera, you can save money with this unbranded action camera helmet mount. It’s not the same quality as GoPro’s offering, but it is half the price!
Best GoPro Chest Mount For Snowboarding
- Lightweight, flexible construction balances comfort and performance
- Padded and breathable materials stay comfortable during any activity
- Fully adjustable to fit a wide range of body types and over heavy winter jackets
- Specially designed quick-release buckle lets you get in and out easily-even with gloves on
- Stable platform for capturing incredibly immersive hands-free footage with GoPro cameras and Karma Grip
- Adjustable for most sizes
- Surprisingly comfortable
- Quick-release straps
- Footage was much smoother than I expected
- Official GoPro accessory
- Better for skiers
- Less ideal for freestyle riding - my arms sometimes flashed in front of the camera
GoPro make the best chest mount for snowboarding (unsurprisingly).
Whilst this type of mount isn’t my favorite, this model did a surprisingly good job. I actually forgot I was wearing it after 5-minutes on the slopes. A testament to how comfy it is.
I do find that this mounting option is better suited to skiers – simply based on the direction they face while riding.
Best GoPro Pole Mount For Snowboarding
- ALL BLACK ALUMINUM BUILD - Made from Waterproof Aluminum Materials, Rubber Grip, and Adjustable Wrist Strap, the SANDMARC Pole can withstand extreme conditions. With the upgrade to an Aluminum Tripod Mount, it adds to the durability and stability of your GoPro footage.
- DESIGNED FOR ACTION - Designed to fit Hero 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, Max, Hero 7, Osmo Action, Hero 6 Black, 5 Black, Hero Session, Hero 4, Session, 3+, 3, 2, and HD Cameras.
- VERSATILE USE - Can be used for surfing, diving, snowboarding, skiing, skateboarding, traveling and much more.
- TELESCOPING LENGTH - Extending from 17 to 40" and weighing just 9 Ozs, you can take close and wide angle shots during your adventures.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY - All SANDMARC products come with 100% lifetime guarantee. We have a hassle-free return policy to make any return and exchange process seamless.
When it comes to GoPro poles, this is my favorite.
You’ll notice that this isn’t actually the official GoPro merchandise. This means the price-point is slightly better and in this case, the quality of the product is just as good.
- Excellent build quality
- Strong grip and secure wrist strap
- Works with most action cameras
- Space for GoPro remote
- Wide range of possible filming angles
- Poles can be more awkward to carry around
- Concentrating on footage can lead to falls, especially with one hand out of action.
Head over to the full article for more GoPro Poles for snowboarding.
Best GoPro Suction Cup Mount For Snowboarding
- Attach your GoPro to cars, boats, motorcycles and more
- Industrial strength suction cup proven at speeds of 150+ mph
- Engineered to provide a broad range of motion and stability
- Quick release base makes moving between shots and locations quick and convenient
- English (Publication Language)
I’d stick with the GoPro official merchandise for this type of mount. Suction cup mounts need to be super strong. I found out the hard way why cheap suction cup mounts aren’t worth it (RIP GoPro Hero 8).
Suction cups are super versatile and great for getting travelling shots. Especially from cars, trains and even ski lifts.
Whilst you can use them on the front of your snowboard, I’d be cautious. There’s a reasonable risk of loss!
- Great build quality
- Suction cup is insanely strong
- Surprisingly stable footage
- Move between surfaces (unlike adhesive mounts)
- Reasonably priced (for GoPro)
- Always a slight fear that they’ll come loose.
- Adhesive models are better for helmet mounting
Best GoPro All-In-One Mount Kit For Snowboarding
- Ultimate Compatibility: Compatible with GoPro Hero 11 10 9 8 GoPro Max GoPro Fusion, and its earlier models. Also compatible with DJI Osmo Action, Insta360 AKASO APEMAN Campark SJCAM, etc
- Straps for Head, Chest & Helmet: Designed for all head sizes and body shapes, the straps secure the camera on your head and chest for taking breathtaking POV shots of surfing, skateboarding, parachuting, and bungy jumping. The helmet strap tightly fastens your camera on a helmet for road biking races, mountain bike trails, and BMX
- Wrist Strap & Floating Handle Grip: The wrist strap with a 360° rotatable mount is easily adaptable to fit your wrist and arm for taking shots from different angles. The floating handle grip keeps your camera afloat in the water when swimming or snorkeling
- Handlebar Mount & Suction Cup: Handlebar mount fits bars of 0.75”–1.4” (1.9–3.6cm) in diameter on your bike and motorbike and allows 180° tilt movement. Suction cup attaches your camera to the car for in car footage
- Flexible Tripod & Selfie Stick: Flexible tripod can wrap around objects and stand stably on bumpy surfaces. The lightweight selfie stick is ideal for taking selfies and videos on the go
These are the best GoPro mounts for snowboarding and skiing if you’re undecided on which mounting method to use.
Whilst the items included aren’t on-par with the quality of GoPro’s official merchandise, for this price-point they’re pretty darned good.
You will receive helmet mounts, bike mounts, chest mounts, wrist mounts, floatable mounts and a whole lot more…
- Great bang for your buck
- Includes mounts for summer sports inc. biking and swimming
- Allows you to experiment with loads of filming angles
- Handy carry case
- Excellent customer reviews
- Build quality feels much cheaper
- Mount strength not as good as brand-name alternatives
Selecting The Best GoPro Mounts for Snowboarding
After years of trial and error, I’ve got a couple of words of wisdom when it comes to GoPro mounts.
When choosing a mount, consider:
- The Stability: The models I’ve chosen are the best in class for stability. No-one watches shaky footage! Helmet mounts are usually the most stable overall. Hand-held are often the least.
- Price-point: It’s tempting to go super cheap but many of these products will snap fairly easily. Unfortunately the best products cost a little more.
- Filming Angles: Decide what angles you prefer. Personally, I prefer a well-rated helmet mount for POV footage and a pole mount for general riding shots. Chest mounts are probably the best GoPro mounts for skiing.
- Adhesion-Strength: This is essential! Saving $10 on a cheaper mount ain’t worth it if you lose your $300 camera.
Final Thoughts On GoPro Mounts
Those are my thoughts on the best GoPro mounts for snowboarding or skiing. Let me know your own experience in the comments.
If you need some tips on shooting snowboarding footage, check out our article on how to take great snowboard pictures.