Whilst I’m not a big fan of the proverbial “selfie stick”, they’re a great way to capture snowboard footage.
They allow incredible POV shots and are perfect for filming the post-session debrief.
So I decided to track down the best selfie sticks for snowboarding. After some intensive research, testing, and a couple of hilarious wipeouts, I think I’ve found it!
Keep reading for more options and more details…
This article contains affiliate links. We may make a commission if you make a purchase, at no additional cost to you.
A Note on My Top Choices
You’ll notice that every option is Go Pro or “Action Cam” compatible. Whilst you can get selfie sticks for your phone, I highly recommend against doing this!
Firstly, phones aren’t designed to hold up to the elements. Your battery will be flat in minutes!
Secondly, phones aren’t designed to stay in place whilst travelling at 40mph. The chances of losing your precious phone are extremely high.
Bring a GoPro or cheap action camera instead!
1. The SANDMARC GoPro Pole
- ALL BLACK ALUMINUM BUILD - Made from Waterproof Aluminum Materials, Rubber Grip, and Adjustable Wrist Strap, the SANDMARC Pole can withstand extreme conditions. With the upgrade to an Aluminum Tripod Mount, it adds to the durability and stability of your GoPro footage.
- DESIGNED FOR ACTION - Designed to fit Hero 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, Max, Hero 7, Osmo Action, Hero 6 Black, 5 Black, Hero Session, Hero 4, Session, 3+, 3, 2, and HD Cameras.
- VERSATILE USE - Can be used for surfing, diving, snowboarding, skiing, skateboarding, traveling and much more.
- TELESCOPING LENGTH - Extending from 17 to 40" and weighing just 9 Ozs, you can take close and wide angle shots during your adventures.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY - All SANDMARC products come with 100% lifetime guarantee. We have a hassle-free return policy to make any return and exchange process seamless.
The SANDMARC Black Edition offers durability, length adjustability, and a super comfortable grip.
It’s extremely straightforward to use and feels like it’s built to last. SANDMARC also offer an awesome lifetime warranty policy.
This is easily my overall favorite selfie stick for snowboarding. It strikes the perfect balance between price and quality.
- Durable Construction: Made with waterproof aluminum materials ensuring longevity even in extreme conditions.
- Sleek Design: Black matte finish looks pretty badass.
- Adjustable Length: Extends from 17 to 40 inches, allowing super versatile shooting angles.
- Secure Grip: Rubber grip and wrist strap ensure the pole stays in hand during dynamic movements.
- Weight: Slightly heavier than some other selfie sticks due to its robust construction.
- Price: There are cheaper options.
2. The GoPro 3-Way 2.0
- 3-in-1 design switches from camera grip to tripod to extension arm
- Integrated ball joint lets you change your camera angle without having to reposition the mount
- Built-in tripod quickly folds out to provide a stable shooting platform for time lapse shots, group photos and more
- Ergonomic design makes the grip comfortable to use even during all-day adventures
- Folding extension arm acts as a handheld boom for selfies, overhead shots, follow-cam footage and getting closer to the action
The GoPro 3-Way 2.0 is a ridiculously versatile multi-functional pole. It serves as a camera grip, extension arm and a tripod.
Tailored for action cameras, it offers some pretty unique shooting perspectives for snowboarding and skiing.
I would definitely have put this in the top spot, if not for the price. As an official GoPro product, it comes at a premium. If your wallet can stretch to it though, this is the only selfie stick you’ll need for snowboarding.
- Multi-Functional: Provides a massive range of shooting possibilities.
- Compact and Portable
- Stable Shooting: The built-in tripod offers a firm stand for time-lapse shots or static recording.
- Waterproof: Designed to be used in and out of water, perfect for snow.
- Lightweight: Especially considering the versatility.
- Limited Extension: While versatile, it doesn't offer the same reach as some longer poles.
- Price: On the higher end of the price spectrum.
- Complexity: The multi-functionality might be overkill for users who only want a basic selfie stick.
3. The GoPro El Grande!
- Extends to 38in (97cm) for new perspectives and to get you closer to the action. Collapses to 15in (38cm), so it’s easily packable for on the go use
- Includes an integrated ball and socket design at the end of the pole, allowing you to make adjustments or swivel your GoPro 360 Degree without having to stop and un mount your camera
- Premium oversized grip allows you to comfortably use two hands to hold El Grande for a better overall experience
- Twist lock design for quick and easy use. Durable and waterproof
- Awesome for skiing, snowboarding, skateboarding and biking (handheld or strapped to a backpack)
The GoPro El Grande could legitimately double up as a weapon. This thing is sturdy!
Featuring an aluminium extension pole and a formidable 38 inch reach, the El Grande gets some awesome POV shots.
It also features a ball and socket at the end, allowing you to swivel the camera a full 360.
- Extended Reach: Offers a whopping 38-inch extension, ideal for capturing wide-angle shots.
- Durable Construction!
- 360° Swivel: Allowing you to capture any angle.
- Simple to Use: User-friendly twist-lock design makes extension and retraction a breeze.
- Versatile: Great for biking, skating, skiing, snowboarding etc.
- Weight: Easily the heaviest on the list.
- No Additional Features: Lacks the multi-functionality found in poles like the GoPro 3-Way 2.0.
- Size: Even when compact, the El Grande is 15 inches (38cm) long.
Best Budget Selfie Stick For Snowboarding
4. The Smatree Telescoping Selfie Stick
- Flexible ball head of Smatree tripod stand provides 360 degree rotation angle for your camera and cell phone to get different best shooting position. Fits for Insta360 X3, GoPro Hero 11/10/9/8/7/6/5/4/3+/3/2/1/Session Cameras / for Ricoh Theta S, M15 Cameras/ Compact Cameras(1/4" thread) / Cell Phones(56mm-80mm).
- SmaPole Q3S is made of high quality aluminum for durable and stable use. Slip resistant rubber and wrist strap around the selfie stick, prevent unexpected falling off, your camera/cell phone will be well protected.
- Selfie stick tripod allows quick length adjustments from 11.8″to 36.6″. Simply twist counter clockwise to release, choose your desired length, and twist clockwise to lock.
- Universal stick tripod for any monopod with 1/4" screw port at the bottom to stand alone. Durable and sturdy, holds monopod on top securely.
- The combination of camera selfie stick + tripod stand enables you to record photo and video for hours with minimum effort. This professional design bring you a relaxed shooting environment.
The Smatree Telescoping Pole is a versatile and adaptable selfie stick.
It’s built with a mix of metal and durable plastic, with an extendable arm to provide reliability and functionality.
This is one of the best selfie sticks for snowboarding, especially for those on a budget. However, it’s certainly less sturdy than the more premium options; on full extension it felt a little fragile.
Nonetheless, I rode pretty hard and it survived. But it’s something to note, especially for those who are tough on their gear.
- Adjustability: Adjustable from 11.8 inches to 36.6 inches, allowing for both close-up shots and broader panoramic views.
- Universal Tripod Thread: Features a tripod mount at the bottom.
- Price: Lowest price-point on the list!
- Comfortable Grip: Rubber handle ensures a secure grip, even during intense tricks.
- Broad Compatibility: While excellent for GoPro, it also works with multiple camera types (including phones, but do so at your own risk!).
- Mixed Material Build: While the metal parts are robust, the plastic sections don't feel as durable.
- Lock Mechanism: Some users reported issues with the locking mechanism over time.
- Aesthetic: Lacks the sleek design of premium branded poles, like GoPro's.
5. SANDMARC Compact Waterproof Pole
- PORTABLE TELESCOPING LENGTH - Extending from 10" to 25" and weighing just 7 Ozs, it is the most compact yet most durable pole in the market
- DESIGNED IN CALIFORNIA - SANDMARC Pole Compact Edition is designed to fit all GoPro Hero Cameras including Hero 12 Black, 11, 10, 9, 8, Max, 7, Osmo Action, Hero 6 Black, Fusion, Hero 5 Black, Session, Hero 4, Hero 3+, 3, and HD Cameras
- ALL BLACK ALUMINUM BUILD - Made from Waterproof Aluminum Material, Rubber Grip, Adjustable Wrist Strap, Aluminum Tripod Mount and Thumbscrew.
- VERSATILE USE - The SANDMARC Pole - Compact Edition can be used for traveling, surfing, diving, snowboarding, skiing and much more.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY - All SANDMARC products come with 100% lifetime guarantee. We have a hassle-free return policy to make the return and exchange process seamless.
The SANDMARC Compact Waterproof Pole is a super minimalist but robust option. With its waterproof build and sleek design, it’s a great space saver. Once again, it’s also rocking SANDMARC’s lifetime warranty.
It also comes in at a respectably low price-point, making it a great option.
- Compact Design: Build with portability in mind.
- Waterproof Construction: Crafted to withstand water and wet conditions, it's perfect for snow, rain, and underwater shots.
- Telescopic Mechanism: Adjustable length provides flexibility in framing your shots.
- Rugged Build: Made of high-quality materials, it ensures durability even in challenging terrains and conditions.
- Price: Not the cheapest, but very reasonable.
- Limited Extension: Given its compact nature, lacks the reach of other poles.
- Simplicity: Lacks some of the multi-functional features offered by other poles.
Alternatives to The Selfie Stick
There is one issue with using selfie sticks while snowboarding and skiing… carrying them.
Whilst this does provide the most flexible shooting range, plenty of riders use alternative mounting systems.
I’ve written about these below.
That about wraps up my thoughts on the best selfie sticks for snowboarding.
Don’t overthink it, ultimately you’ll get on fine with any of the above options.
Be safe, have fun, and capture some incredible footage.