It’s almost been two weeks now since I returned home from Fernie. Since then I’ve spent a lot of time at work, including both days of last weekend, which has delayed any updates here.
So what next?
If you’ve been reading my posts over the last few weeks you’ll know that we were really lucky with the weather in Fernie – we had awesome snow. So good in fact that what I’m about to say doesn’t really bother me that much.
You see, during the three seasons previous to this one, I’ve always had at least two trips planned. In those situations, returning home from the first trip never feels bad, because you know you’re going away again. Then, when you return home from the last trip of the season, you still don’t feel bad because you know you’ve had a good fill…
This time around though, I’m done. I knew Canada was going to be more expensive than the usual trips to Europe, but to be honest, it was more expensive than what I thought was a conservative budget.
And I’m content. Actually, more than content. Stoked. I only need to think back to one of the many powder days we had and I’m happy with this season’s riding. Happy that I chose Fernie.
As well as looking back however, my thoughts are now starting to focus on what I’m going to do inbetween now and next year. What am I going to do in the off-season? Will I set myself any goals?
- First, there’s good riding to be done here in the UK. Last year I kept a tally of days riding and it totalled 9. That was between April and January, which is roughly 1 day per month. That’s not bad, but considering I was aiming for 2 to 4 times per month, I want to do better this time.
- I’d like to land some clean 5s on Halifax’s kicker. In fact, I’d like to set out some trick goals for the summer – but I’m gonna give this some more thought…
- I’d like to get out on my skateboard more. Last year was abysmal. I missed it.
- I’d like to continue reading about avalanche safety and get in some more practice with my beacon – particulalry with multiple burials. Along the same lines, I’d like to do a review on the Tracker DTS using some video.
- It would be nice to get some riding in on a glacier sometime. I’ve been to Deux Alpes in summer and Les Diablerets in late autumn – I’d go back to either in a flash. I also think Ciara would like to try an all girls camp.
- Late last year I wrote a couple of reviews for the World Snowboard Guide – UK slopes. If I get the opportunity I’d like to write some more.
- I’d also like to invest in some better camera equipment, perhaps for stills, but more likely for video. It’s expensive though…